"Oh, good scholar,/I say to myself,/how can you help/but grow wise/with such teachings/as these-/the untrimmable light/of the world,/the ocean's shine,/the prayers that are made/out of grass?" - Mary Oliver




Saturday, July 10, 2010

heat-stroke saturday.

So, I'm feeling a little under the weather today, mostly because I got kicked in the face by a minor case of heat stroke yesterday.

This is alarming for all the obvious reasons (such as the fact that I had heat stroke), but also for less obvious reasons like the fact that it's limiting my ability to "hop to" in the gardens today. Which are in sore need of my attendance!

Mostly I'm just feeling a little drained... probably from the frickin' HEAT STROKE. ;)

Now I'll stop complaining and give y'all the updates of the week:
This was kind of a big week out here on the farm. On Wednesday, I harvested with Derrick (who works here on Wednesdays and Saturdays) and Kate. As you can see from the pictures I posted a few days ago, we are certainly in the midst of the summer garden bounty - as our cucumber and squash harvests start to die down,our tomato, green bean (well, purple green beans!), pepper, eggplant, zinnia, cosmos, and basil crops are being harvested at their optimum levels. Annnnnd - melon season is now beginning! On Wednesday I went with Eliza to work the Carrboro market, and we sampled a "sorbet swirl" watermelon, named such because it's orange and yellow swirled on the inside. It was delightful! :)

However... there are also a number of pretty serious problems that I've had to start addressing this week. On Thursday, our extension agent came out to the farm to look at some of the disease and blight problems that have popped up in our tomato, eggplant, bean, squash, melon, and cucumber plants. This is pretty distressing, because many of these "foliar" fungal diseases and blights can be absolutely devastating to a garden operation if not addressed in the right way and at the right time. I was so excited about his visit, but as it turned out, the results were still rather inconclusive... leaving me feeling overwhelmed and a little paralyzed with worry for my plants. I'll update once I get a better handle on this situation, but needless to say - I'm feeling a little down, and not sure that I have an adequate knowledge-base to really address the problems at hand.

Send me some good vibes, today, my friends - for my health, and the health of these plant babies.

p.s. - on a brighter note, less than one month til I move into a house in Greensboro with a bunch of fantastic ladies! It warms my spirits considerably to think about how wonderful it will be to share my days with strong, intelligent, and passionate women like these. So very inspiring, to say the least <3.

No comments:

Post a Comment