"Oh, good scholar,/I say to myself,/how can you help/but grow wise/with such teachings/as these-/the untrimmable light/of the world,/the ocean's shine,/the prayers that are made/out of grass?" - Mary Oliver




Sunday, July 25, 2010

I think I just broke my toe?!

Okay possibly not ;) - but I stubbed it 45 minutes ago, and it's still throbbing! Oh well... toes are overrated anyway, right?

On non-toe related fronts, life is really looking up. I'm finally feel better (yahooooo!) and have accepted that some days, you really just can't work in this heat (especially when the index has been up to 105).

My folks were here for a few days this weekend, as well as my little sister, Chloe. It was really great to see them, and my parents really helped a lot out in the fields. After a few hours out in the sun, my mom got really fussy and insisted that she buy me a "sun shirt," i.e. - a long-sleeved shirt that is breathable, dries quickly, and has an SPF of at least 30. Although I was initially resistant to this ENDLESSLY dorky idea, I gave in and I think that she may actually have a point after all. I've also been pumping the water, putting electrolyte tablets in my drinks, and chewing on these completely awesome electrolyte gel bars made by Cliff.

Anyhow, news on the farm is: that our tomatoes are still chugging along, although it looks like their peak has passed. I think we should still have a few more weeks of harvests over 200lbs, which is great, as some other farms have already stopped harvesting their heirlooms. Our melons are also passed their peak, which is a little bit sad since we normally have a much longer harvest. With our disease problems, as well as some water pressure issues earlier in the summer, plus this ultra intense heat, we're definitely going to lose our plants early. This makes me sad, but what I'm learning is that with farming - you win some, and you lose some, and all you can ever really do is just the best that you can do. Peppers, okra, and eggplant are still coming in fabulously, as well as zinnias, cosmos, and sunflowers. We've also started to plan our fall garden! Stay posted for more on that.

Well, it's 11:22PM and I'm still up in the shop. I just spent several long hours cleaning and sorting the veggies form the 3 markets we do each weekend (Greensboro Curb Market, Carrboro, and Saxapahaw). Now everything's nice and clean, and I can happily head on home.

Thanks for reading, and catch you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment