"Oh, good scholar,/I say to myself,/how can you help/but grow wise/with such teachings/as these-/the untrimmable light/of the world,/the ocean's shine,/the prayers that are made/out of grass?" - Mary Oliver




Wednesday, May 12, 2010

day one in the "real world" (what does this mean?)

My name is Hailey, and today allegedly marks my entrance into the world of "adulthood."

I am unsure of what this is actually supposed to mean. Nonetheless, here's what has recently happened to cause such an (apparently) drastic change in my life:

Last Saturday, May 8th, 2010, I Hailey Lisbeth Moses graduated from Guilford College in Greensboro, NC, with a double-major in Spanish and Peace & Conflict Studies. Less than ONE short week later, today I sit at the desk of Eliza Maclean, my first post-college boss/adopted mother/soul sister and owner and manager of Cane Creek Farm in Snow Camp, NC. I'm here as the new garden manager in an operation that primarily produces grass-fed beef and pastured pork, a job for which I've been (rapidly, effusively, and somewhat-subtly) training for the past 2 years as a farm intern here. I still can't believe all of the complicated reasons and twists that have resulted in my being here, but I can honestly express that I am simultaneously ecstatic and completely (and I mean, completely) terrified to be here. I have become woven into the fabric of life here, and I'm so worried that I won't live up to the astronomical expectations I've set for myself (you know, changing the world and being Superwoman McGardener, and all that). HOWEVER - I also believe firmly in the importance of every minute that I spend touching, healing, and loving the soil in this place. This land is holy to me, and I want to make it my productive, beautiful, and ever-evolving refuge of, quite literally, growth, and the laying down of deep roots.

Join me as I embark upon this road. I intend to make it as far from the traditional notion of adulthood as possible, with an emphasis on local food, long dirty days, and baby pigs named Oscar. Love <3.

No comments:

Post a Comment