"Oh, good scholar,/I say to myself,/how can you help/but grow wise/with such teachings/as these-/the untrimmable light/of the world,/the ocean's shine,/the prayers that are made/out of grass?" - Mary Oliver




Tuesday, June 1, 2010

days on, day off!

Well hello there. I'm currently sitting in the Guilford College library with my delightful lady friend, Ella. It's a day off from the farm after a long weekend of farm-sitting, market preparation, rain, and garden work. I'm relishing every moment of this day - I think we're going to garden a little bit at the Guilford community garden (where I have a veeeery neglected plot), go play with animals at the shelter, and then snuggle and eat snacks and watch movies in my bed ♥. Perfect day with a perfect lady.

Last week saw SO much rain, which is awesome for our fields, but not so awesome for our (already fairly serious) weed problem. I anticipate spending a LOT of time in the upcoming week trying to address this. However - Kate, Eliza's cousin, and her partner Nick just arrived, and are staying with us at the farm for the next two months! This is excellent, because they are lovely, fun people, and also because I'm leaving in a little over a week for Italy!! Family trip 2010... so awesome, but also pretty stressful since I'll be worried about the farm in my absense. But what can you do, right?

The squash seem to be doing somewhat better, although some have been infected with some kind of a wilt virus (probably carried by the striped cucumber beetles). We'll see how that goes - continuing to apply organic insecticide, and planting new winter squash plants that may or may not make.

We've also decided to try and calculate expected yields, actual yields, and amount sold at market each week. This is a pretty big step for us as a farm... I suppose it seems obvious that we'd do this, but it's been sort of overlooked in the past. I've also drafted a work schedule, outlying which days we'll do which activities. Hopefully that will help Kate & Nick while I'm gone, as well as help ME to be a lot more organized in the way that I do work :).

Well, off to go love on my Ellabella. More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment