"Oh, good scholar,/I say to myself,/how can you help/but grow wise/with such teachings/as these-/the untrimmable light/of the world,/the ocean's shine,/the prayers that are made/out of grass?" - Mary Oliver




Sunday, June 6, 2010

wanna be freeeee, easy like a sunday morning

It's Sunday morning, and unlike the song - I'm feeling a little lost within the world today, if that makes sense at all - excited for the day (as I look outside the window, the wind is whipping through the trees, and the sun is dabbled through their branches), but I'm so scared of what I'll find outside my doorstep. Metaphorically speaking :). In reality I'll find "Oscar" the pig, recently renamed "Squirt" by Eliza's 9 year old daughter, who will nibble veraciously on my toes until I feed him, and about 34087284906124 dogs. No, what I mean is this - that I'm feeling like my heart is on my sleeve today, and I'm just not sure that I'll be able to do enough to protect it as I walk into the sun, and the rain, and the day to day musings and heartaches of this beautiful Sunday morning.

BUT - in a few minutes I'm leaving to go to meeting for worship, which should help revive me a bit. Also, things are actually going quite swimmingly here at the farm! Weeding is relatively under control, the flowers are blooming, the tomatoes are thriving, and other than the fact that our squash and cucumber populations appear to be pretty much doomed at this point, we are in for a pretty fantastical summer.

I need to find a way to include pictures very soon. The three sisters garden is looking especially amazing, I must say. The corn is getting to be almost 2 feet tall, and I can't WAIT for the beans under it to start climbing up the stalks. I just planted a bunch of new sunflowers in the rows near by, so at the height of summer, the lower garden really should be a sight.

The problematic part of farming, of course, and a part that I haven't really discussed here up to this point, is the economic bit. I really don't think that we're making money on these gardens, which is pretty important since this is a working farm that needs to be turning a profit on this enterprise. The main problem here is that I'm really just a garden baby, taking on a task that's more than a little bit out of my range of expertise. I think I'm trying my best, and doing a really good job with some things, but it's really difficult to ensure that your garden will be profitable when you're really just learning as you go, as I am.

Anyway - no need to dwell on this at the moment, but it is certainly something to reflect upon in the months (and probably years!) to follow.

Well, I suppose I'm off to great the day at last.

Wish me luck. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment